Australian Immigration, Foreign Investment Lawyers & Visa Services



Migration Lawyer: MARN: 1909631


1300 992 677

+61 4300 44 954

Opening Time

08.00 - 19.00

Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)


This visa is for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution.

It lets you live, study and work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies. Students are only able to access the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) once as a primary applicant.


The visa has two streams:

Graduate Work stream

Post-Study Work stream

If you are applying as the main applicant, you and anybody else covered by the application must be in Australia when you apply for this visa and when your visa is decided.

It allows you to stay in Australia for the duration of your studies but not more than 5 years.



   Graduate Work stream - 18 months


   Post-Study Work stream - two to four years

To get the visa YOU MUST:

  • be under 50 years of age
  • hold an eligible visa 
  • have a recent qualification in a CRICOS-registered course
  • meet additional requirements of the relevant stream
  • The qualification must either: 

   relate to an occupation on the skilled occupation list (Graduate Work stream)

   be a higher education degree (Post-Study Work stream) 

  • You must hold an eligible visa to apply for this visa as the primary applicant.

Eligible Visa

   You could meet this requirement if any of the following applies to you: 

§  You hold a student visa, provided you are not:

i.   a family member of the main visa holder of this visa subclass,

ii.   the primary applicant who undertook a course/training under a scholarship scheme or training program approved by the Foreign Minister or the Defense Minister on condition that you will leave Australia on the completion of the course.

§  You have held an eligible student visa at any time in the past six months and

 i.   you now hold a Bridging visa A or Bridging visa B, or

 ii.  you now hold a substantive visa.

§  You held an eligible student visa that was cancelled, but in the past 28 days the Migration Review Tribunal has notified you of a decision to set aside and substitute the Minister's decision not to revoke the cancellation.

§  In addition, you must not:

i.   have had a visa application refused or cancelled since last entering Australia unless you hold a substantive visa,

ii.   have any condition on your current visa that prevents you from applying to stay in Australia, such as 'No further stay' conditions (numbers 8503, 8534 or 8535). If you have condition 8503 or 8534 attached to your current visa, you should apply for the Temporary Graduate visa using paper Form 1409 (635KB PDF), which includes an application to have the condition waived.

  • meet the minimum health requirements and have health insurance for the duration of your stay in Australia.

English language ability


·         Your visa application must include evidence that you have met the English language requirement

Australian study requirement


·         In the six months before you apply, you must meet the Australian study requirement

Specific requirements


  • The Graduate Work stream of the Temporary Graduate visa is for international students who have recently graduated with skills and qualifications that closely relate to an occupation identified as being in need in the medium to long term in the Australian labour market.

-: Graduate Work Stream Requirements


  • The Post-Study Work stream is for international students who have recently graduated with an eligible qualification from an Australian educational institution, regardless of their field of study.

T-: Post-Study Work Stream Requirements.


Debts to the Australian government

   You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.

   This also applies to all family members listed in your application that intend to accompany you to Australia


   Everyone who wants to enter Australia must be of good character and will be assessed against the character requirements. As part of your visa application, you might be required to provide a police clearance certificate or other evidence to satisfy the character requirements. The character requirements are set out under Section 501 of the Migration Act 1958