Australian Immigration, Foreign Investment Lawyers & Visa Services



Migration Lawyer: MARN: 1909631


1300 992 677

+61 4300 44 954

Opening Time

08.00 - 19.00

Student visa (subclass 500)


This visa allows you to stay in Australia to study full-time at a recognised education institution that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)


It allows you to stay in Australia for the duration of your studies but not more than 5 years.

To get the visa YOU MUST:


  • be at least 6 years of age
  • have been accepted to study at a CRICOS registered educational institution in Australia (in other words: you must be enrolled in a course of study that is registered on CRICOS) 
  • You need to have enough money that is genuinely available to you, to pay for your course fees, and travel and living costs for you and your accompanying family members while you are in Australia
  • You might need to provide evidence of your English language skills with your visa application

   If one of the following applies, you do not need to provide evidence of an English test score with your visa application:

   you are enrolled in full-time school studies as a principal course including in a secondary exchange programme, a postgraduate research course, a standalone English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS), and Foreign Affairs or Defence sponsored students.

   you have completed at least five years’ study in one or more of the following countries: Australia, UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland.

   you are a citizen and hold a passport from UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Republic of Ireland.

   in the two years before applying for the student visa, you completed, in Australia and in the English language, either the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or a substantial component of a course leading to a qualification from the Australian Qualifications Framework at the Certificate IV or higher level, while you held a student visa.


  • Have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance in Australia. You must not arrive in Australia before your health insurance starts.

  Your education provider might organise your OSHC coverage for you, or you can select an approved OSHC provider yourself and pay the policy. 

  If you are studying at more than one educational provider and both are arranging OSHC, you will have to ensure that there is no gap between policies. This means that as one policy expires the next commences immediately

  If you have a child born after your arrival in Australia, and you only have a single OSHC policy you must change that to a family policy. If family members join you after your arrival in Australia they will have to demonstrate that they have an OSHC policy for the duration of their visas. 

  Exceptions to OSHC

You do not need OSHC if you are:

   a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme

   a Swedish student covered by Kammarkollegiet

   a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.


  • If you are applying from outside Australia, you must include a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each intended course of study with your visa application.
  • If you are under 18 years of age, you MUST have welfare arrangements in place while you are in Australia even if this is before your course commences and you must not enter Australia before your welfare arrangements start.

Welfare Arrangements. You must do one of the following:  

   Nominate a parent / legal custodian or a relative over 21 years as your student guardian. This person must have a visa to remain in Australia for the duration of your student visa or until you turn 18. (Form 157N Nomination of Student Guardian)

   Provide evidence that a parent / legal custodian or relative over 21 years will accompany you as a Student Guardian visa (subclass 590) holder. This person must apply for the visa and attach Form 157N Nomination of Student Guardian with their application

   Organise for your education provider to approve your welfare arrangements. The provider will issue a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) letter that will confirm your welfare arrangements start date and end date

   the minimum period stated on the Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare letter must be the period of the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) plus seven days at the end of the CoE or until you turn 18. Its is recommend that the provider take responsibility for your welfare at least a week before your course commences.


   Provide your Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student (AASES) form if you are a secondary exchange student.


  • Everyone who wants to enter Australia must be of good character and will be assessed against the character requirements. As part of your visa application, you might be required to provide a police clearance certificate or other evidence to satisfy the character requirements. The character requirements are set out under Section 501 of the Migration Act 1958